Tuesday 25 October 2016

Thorns



The Man who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.
Matthew 13:22


I was reading the parable of the sower this morning (you can find the full story in Matthew 13) and to tell you the truth, this made me feel a little discouraged. I know that the bible isn't supposed to be there just to make me feel better about myself, however I do look to the Word for encouragement. 

The truth is, this past year, which is the last of my twenties, has been one of the hardest. I don't need to go into great detail, but this verse resonated with me because the troubles of this past year have definitely stunted my growth. I feel like I haven't really been making my mark on this world (ie, bearing fruit). My zest (see what I did there) for life has been missing. I am but a seedling smothered by the thorns and can't reach for the sky.

But God used this particular passage to turn my discouragement into that encouragement that I needed. The farmer - He is able. In His mighty strength He can rip out those big nasty stubborn thorns. In fact, he takes those thorns upon himself and make them his crown of suffering (Philippians 2:1-9). I can't change my circumstances, but God can put on his big gloves and rip out those thorns. He can gather me up, he can nurture me, reposition me and water me back to health to make me fruitful once again.

So re-reading this passage, yeah, it sucks that I'm in the thorns of life, but I have HOPE in a God who will not let me choke under the circumstances I'm in.

You did not choose me, I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last.
John 15:16

No comments:

Post a Comment